* Kan decides to seek 5 percentage point cut in Japan’s corporate tax
* A free-trade agreement between the United States and Japan is on the negotiating table–despite the outrage of agricultural interests
* Japan plans to tolerate unlicensed uses of copyrighted works
* Japan is expected to adopt a more “dynamic” forward-leaning military posture as part of a sweeping strategic defence review focused on real or potential threats from China and North Korea
* Japan’s defence ministry is determined to push for an easing of the nation’s ban on arms exports in spite of strong political opposition
* Malaysian long-haul budget airline AirAsia X is to launch regular flights between Kuala Lumpur and Tokyo starting December 10
No further comment. All of these are good steps forward — many of which could never have been accomplished with an LDP administration.