- Kan decides to seek 5 percentage point cut in Japan’s corporate tax
- A free-trade agreement between the United States and Japan is on the negotiating table—despite the outrage of agricultural interests
- Japan plans to tolerate unlicensed uses of copyrighted works
- Japan is expected to adopt a more “dynamic” forward-leaning military posture as part of a sweeping strategic defence review focused on real or potential threats from China and North Korea
- Japan’s defence ministry is determined to push for an easing of the nation’s ban on arms exports in spite of strong political opposition
- Malaysian long-haul budget airline AirAsia X is to launch regular flights between Kuala Lumpur and Tokyo starting December 10
No further comment. All of these are good steps forward—many of which could never have been accomplished with an LDP administration.